Connecting for Better Health (C4BH) provides a forum for members to discuss policy developments, share the latest evidence, and develop a collective outlook to advance data sharing in California. We organize panels for industry events, develop educational materials, and advocate for sound state and federal policy.
Founded in 2021, C4BH is a coalition of providers, caregivers, health plans, patient advocates, innovators, and community based organizations. We strive to improve the state’s data sharing infrastructure with a goal of transforming health and social outcomes for all Californians.
Connected health data is the standard across California: Every Californian and their providers have the information and insights they need to make healthcare seamless, high quality and affordable.
What We Do
Connecting for Better Health brings together consumer groups, health care providers, health plans, and technology partners dedicated to advancing statewide health data exchange in California. We meet regularly as a coalition to hear from guest speakers, discuss recent regulations and policy guidance, share new research, and develop policy recommendations related to health data exchange. We also organize panels, highlight patient and provider stories, and develop educational materials to inform policy makers and our members about the current health data exchange landscape and demonstrate urgency for action.
- DSA education and execution: Promote the value of the CalHHS Data Sharing Agreement and encourage organizations to sign it
- Funding: Advocate for the state to dedicate continued funding for health and social services IT and ensure state agencies seek federal match when and where appropriate
- Integration of social services data: Develop and communicate use cases and policy recommendations that should serve as the basis for data sharing across sectors—especially lessons learned from CalAIM programs
- DSA/P&P development: Monitor state data sharing efforts and provide critical feedback to CalHHS and other agencies to ensure California realizes the promise of A.B. 133
In shaping our agenda and approaching our work, we will support activities that align with our principles.
- Patient, Caregiver and Provider Stories Lead Our Work. We approach our work with patients, caregivers and providers at the center, and their diverse voices guide our work. We recognize that data collected by the health system should be used to improve patient and caregiver experience and outcomes and to the benefit of the doctors and nurses that care for them.
- Health Equity and Care Transformation Are Our Ultimate Goals. We understand the role connected health data play in improving the value of care, lowering costs, reducing burdens on patients and identifying and eliminating health disparities that continue to impact too many Californians.
- Linkages with Public Health are Essential to our Success. We recognize that data collected by the health system strengthen our public health infrastructure and ability to prepare and respond to public health emergencies.
- Data Privacy and Security Must Be Reinforced. We believe that connected health data can and must be developed and shared among systems in secure ways that uphold patient privacy.
We will achieve connected health data by employing these objectives:
- Activating the health care community. Create a structure for individuals and organizations that believe in the promise of connected health data to advance policy.
- Understanding user’s views. Gather advocates, researchers, and policymakers to highlight the value of connected health data to patients, caregivers and providers.
- Influencing and educating. Translate research, law, policies and stories into actionable insights, create educational forums and materials.
- Strategic communications. Develop industry-level and consumer based communications that highlight the need for connected health data.
The Connecting for Better Health Coalition is a partnership of some of the most influential healthcare leaders and organizations across California.
Connecting for Better Health is managed by BluePath Health, a consulting firm with many years of experience across all segments of the healthcare industry including health IT, providers and policy makers.
Director of Policy
Help us advance data sharing to improve the health of all Californians.
"*" indicates required fields